Saturday, December 12, 2009

Waiting for Michael

Here we are, creeping up on the holidays. My mother is here and we finally got the tree up (only breaking a few ornaments) and the girls are so happy. We did not put lights outside, but tonight after church my brother took them across the island to see lights and they are so excited which I am remaining focused on. If they are having fun, I am not "missing" the holidays. Santa has sent them special letters this year with magic reindeer food and to top it off, this is the very last week of school. This will be a Christmas without the hustle and bustle... nevermind, that is not even possible.

My nephew is 4 and he is the best dose of Christmas this year anyway you cut it. He recites his Christmas wish list like it is a poem and the serious facial expressions which I can not remotely convey in writing, are just some of what make him so entertaining. He will tell you stories while scrunching his brow and shaking his head up and down to convince you that Santa is bringing special things to just him and he obviously has a direct line that no one else has, he just does. You can feel the excitement and the magic. My sister in law took his elf hat away for bad behavior (um pee pee in his closet) and you can only imagine the disappointment. It is hard not to be entertained by these things.

Michael is very active right now and even with the extra room he has managed to create, I can tell exactly where he is most of the time. The biggest difference for me in this pregnancy, is that usually by this time, I am just ready to not be pregnant anymore and I am not in a hurry this time. The end is his time, so for me knowing his outcome may be perspective. If I did not know or if Michael was healthy, the nursery would be well under way, the toys and gadgets would be all picked out. It is disapointing and yet I can find peace in so much that seemed impossible before. I feel like I have a job right now to keep him comfortable and I can do that. I am still scared to deliver him. I need to find that same peace, I am working on that...

Thank you for all your very supportive comments, I look for all of them, they really make me happy : ) and I feel like I am not alone or losing my mind.

5 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I love you and I'm thinking of you this morning. I'll call you tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing awesome my dear friend... keep on keepin' on. Prayers are going up daily... much love, D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so not alone - I haven't even met you but am continuing to pray for you and your family.

    I am so in awe of your strength.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came across your blog, and wanted to say hello. My daughter was born earlier this year and was unexpectedly diagnosed with Trisomy 18 on the day of her birth. I often wonder how things would have been different if we would've known about her condition during my pregnancy. Please know that Michael, you, and your family are in my thoughts as you embark on this extremely difficult journey. I hope that you have some time with him, as I will be forever grateful for the 15 days that we had with our daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh lost for words, thank you for sharing. 15 days that is amazing and I am so sorry for your loss. I often wonder if it would have been different had we not known of his diagnosis, but we do so we are hopeful he will be at peace.

    Peace,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete