Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Fish Bowl

I would say I am trying to prepare my self, but that is not completely true. I think I am trying to prepare everyone - on some level. I find myself wondering how to do that and part of me realizes that part of this so called preparation for everyone else is in reality still probably for me. I am sad, but it really makes me sad when others are sad. I suppose bedrest has been somewhat of a gift - I have to deal with this. I found a blog from another family that lost there little guy to trisomy 18 at 28 weeks and I showed the pictures to my husband and he was surprised at how tiny he was. It is so hard to imagine him being so small partly because I am so big. When I lie down I can feel feet on one side of my hips and a head literally up under my chest. He is a lot like a fish inside a fish bowl and I am the tank. Kind of a strange analogy, but the girls understand this and it helps me prepare them for how tiny he really is. The ultrasound tech laughed when I asked her if there was more fluid. She said she did not even have to measure she could see all the space around him and assure us he had a lot of excess fluid. I keep trying to step out of my body and remember that Michael is dependent upon me, but he is a completely separate person and he has a purpose. I don't want to be consumed with so much grief that I lose that for myself and for others.

I have stretchy pains that literally take my breath away and yet, I know this is the time I have left with him. I know he is not suffering so I can not complain because that was my only wish. I am stuck in bed missing my most favorite time of the year but and Michael won't get to spend it with us which makes me very sad, I can't help that.

1 comment:

  1. I am new to your blog and my heart is truly breaking for you and your family. My prayers and good wishes are with you in this difficult time. Please remember to be kind to yourself as well...

    Jen in MD

    ReplyDelete