Thursday, July 7, 2011

Poppy

Today is a new chapter in my life that I must say I am not looking forward to.  My father is very sick. We call him poppy.   My father has always been a strong man - perhaps every little girl thinks of daddy as big and strong, but I still remember him putting things together for me and catching fish on our summer vacations.  I remember him always being there when I did a stupid thing or two...  Anyways, he had a massive heart attack about 7 years ago and we have been blessed with 7 additional years and here we are today faced with the big "C", you know the word you only whisper in hopes that maybe it will disappear.  Well, he was certainly hoping it would disappear and I can not say I blame him.  This morning he was diagnosed with stage 4 colon and liver cancer. Stage 4 - that sounds pretty awful.  I stewed most of the afternoon and finally I got to talk with him and he said, "don't worry baby I still have a dance or two left in me." I said, "you better poppy." and he said of course I do...your always going to be my little girl."  Ok, I lost it, couldn't talk I still can't.  How does this happen? Why is this a reality and I suppose I really took his existence for granted.  One of my closest friend lost her father unexpectedly a few days before Trey was born in fact she buried her father the day Trey was born and I was talking to her earlier and she said, you know you are lucky in the sense that you have time to say your goodbyes and she is right and yet I really hate that he is scared and I really really hate seeing him suffer.  So here we go and I am praying and hoping for a little bit longer with this big ole teddy bear of a man we all love...  Poppy  playintheodds.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you are going through this. Cancer is awful. It just seems so unfair that your body becomes the enemy and creates these awful cells. My father has been fighting cancer for 17 years... His doctors have even told him they don't know why he is alive. I think it's because he is stubborn and refuses to die :) Anyway, if you need a shoulder or just a vent I am here for you - I always will be.
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that's so hard. I don't know you at all, but I've followed your story. My heart breaks for you. Your family has been through too much already. Lots of postive thoughts, that your days with your dad are spent with love.

    ReplyDelete